About the employer
The Barcelonaβeta Brain Research Center (BBRC) is a research center dedicated to the prevention of Alzheimer's disease and the study of cognitive functions affected in healthy and pathological aging. It was created in 2012 by the Pasqual Maragall Foundation, with the support of the Pompeu Fabra University.
The mission of the BBRC is to provide innovative solutions to decipher and prevent biological changes and cognitive dysfunction associated with neurodegenerative diseases. Due to the aging of the world population, these diseases constitute a global challenge, since for example, dementia can reach epidemic levels in 2050, with a forecast of more than 150 million people affected, if is not found a way to prevent its appearance and development.
The BBRC received the HR Excellence in Research award (HRS4R) granted by the European Commission; a recognition that shows its adherence to the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Research Staff. The center offers a stimulating and favorable working environment in accordance with the Charter and Code, which describe the rights and responsibilities of researchers and their employers, and contributes to the creation of a transparent, attractive and open ecosystem at international level.
Pasqual Maragall Foundation, Pompeu Fabra University and “la Caixa” Foundation are permanent members of the BBRC Board. The center is affiliated and located in the Ciutadella Campus of the Pompeu Fabra University of Barcelona, in a building inaugurated in 2016. The BBRC headquarters has excellent technical facilities, including a 3TMR scanner dedicated to research, and spaces for conducting Clinical Trials and EEG. State-of-the-art scientific facilities, effective management and continuous high-standard peer-review evaluation are the BBRC core proceedings to ensure achieving world-class research results.
BBRC is also part of the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), a large research facility that hosts other seven different research institutions related to biomedical research, including the Center for Genomic Regulation (CRG), the Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute (IMIM), the Department of Experimental and Health Sciences of the Pompeu Fabra University (CEXS-UPF), the Institute of Evolutionary Biology (IBE CSIC-UPF), the Barcelona Institute of Global Health (ISGlobal) and the Barcelona site of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), among others, in a multidisciplinary, collaborative and stimulating international environment in close contact with a clinical setting, thus conducive to translational research.
About the job
BBRC is looking for a Scientific Project Manager. This is a full-time position and the person selected will join the Research Management Office.
In brief, the Scientific Project Manager will be responsible for:
- conducting searches of funding opportunities (at the regional, national and international level)
- coordinating and providing support in the elaboration of grant applications
- submitting grant applications to the appropriate funding agencies
- performing the interim and final reporting of grants and fellowships led by BBRC researchers
- managing her/his own assigned scientific projects
The successful candidate will construct the necessary strategies to improve the capture of research funds as well as to ensure the execution of projects according to BBRC’s quality standards and procedures. She/he will be required to have experience in the research field, in national and European / international project management and reporting.
The scientific project manager will report to the Research Management Office’s Manager.
The responsibilities for this position include:
- Preparation of a weekly summary of funding calls, including information on their type, application deadlines, duration, amount, and eligibility of BBRC (researchers).
- Collaborate in the preparation of proposals relating to BBRC, its institutional project(s), staff involved, management and dissemination activities, and timelines and budget.
- Submit grants in which BBRC acts as coordinator and submit the necessary info for other coordinating centers to submit applications in which BBRC is a partner.
- Perform the follow-up of the awarded projects, including elaborating and submitting projects reports and deliverables to the funding agencies according to the established procedures and deadlines, in coordination with the Finances and Human Resources Departments.
- Working closely with the Finances and Human Recourses Departments to ensure adequate personnel allocation (dedication) to the specific projects.
- Acting as main contact for funding entities.
- Managing the formalization of agreements and contracts (scientific collaboration, data transfer agreements, contracts with third parties, etc.).
- Managing her/his own assigned projects, according to the current regulatory and BBRC’s standards.
Required qualifications and professional experience
- University degree in science-related disciplines
- Previous experience in national, European and international grant application and reporting processes
- Previous experience in national, European and international project management
- Previous experience in writing project deliverables
- English required (Proficiency Level-written and spoken)
- Advanced level in Microsoft Office skills
- PhD in health science-related disciplines
- Master in Management
- Previous experience in writing research papers
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to think independently and work collaboratively (empathic and focused team-worker).
- Organizational skills: ability to initiate, manage and direct multiple tasks and projects is necessary.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrate the ability to solve problems and reach objectives.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Interest in joining a non-profit organization with a mission of high social impact.
- Starting date: ASAP 2022.
- Full-time position, 38hours weekly.
- Salary will be in accordance with qualifications and experience.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity. And the unique research opportunity in a highly innovative project in a multidisciplinary institution.
In the foundation we also care about developing your professional career so you will participate in internal and specific training for your job, promotion opportunities and development of your professional career. We evaluate the potential of our team in order to develop those skills necessary to achieve a high level of professional performance.
To apply, please submit a single PDF file containing the following:
1) Cover letter describing research interests and relevant background;
3) The names of up to three individuals who could provide reference letters. All files or inquiries should be submitted electronically to: email@example.com
Subject: Scientific Project Manager
We inform you that your personal data will be part of a file which Pasqual Maragall Foundation and Barcelonaβeta Brain Research Center is responsible for, in order to manage the job offer you have requested. Once the process is complete, the data processed will be erased.
You have the right to exercise the rights of access, rectification, cancellation and opposition recognized in Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), to be addressed to the Pasqual Maragall Foundation and Barcelonaβeta Brain Research Center: Wellington Street 30, 08005 Barcelona.