About the employer
The Barcelonaβeta Brain Research Center (BBRC) is a new research center, constituted by the Pasqual Maragall Foundation. The goal of BBRC is to become an internationally recognized centre of excellence in our understanding of age-related cognitive disability in order to provide practical solutions to the global challenges posed by the world’s aging population. Our goal will be achieved by championing primary and secondary prevention programs for Alzheimer’s disease and other related neurodegenerative disorders, the study and promotion of healthy aging, and the research of the basic physiological mechanisms of cognitive functions affected by healthy or pathological aging such as memory, learning and decision-making, among others. The vision of BBRC is to provide the society with distinct and innovative solutions for age-related cognitive disability by leveraging these complementary research programs in order to attain a multidisciplinary comprehension of the aging process and the pathophysiology of neurodegeneration.
Pasqual Maragall Foundation, Pompeu Fabra University and “la Caixa” on are permanent members of the BBRC Board. International competitive recruitment, state-of-the-art scientific facilities, effective management and continuous high-standard peer-review evaluation are the BBRC core proceedings to ensure achieving world-class research results. BBRC is affiliated and located in the Campus Ciutadella of the Barcelona Pompeu Fabra University, the building contains excellent technical facilities, including a research-dedicated 3T MR scanner, Clinical Trials facilities, EEG and Eye Tracker labs.
BBRC is also part of the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), a large research facility that hosts other seven different research institutions related to biomedical research, including the Center for Genomic Regulation (CRG), the Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute (IMIM), the Department of Experimental and Health Sciences of the Pompeu Fabra University (CEXS-UPF), the Institute of Evolutionary Biology (IBE CSIC-UPF), the Barcelona Institute of Global Health (ISGlobal) and the Barcelona site of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), among others, in a multidisciplinary, collaborative and stimulating international environment in close contact with a clinical setting, thus conducive to translational research.
About the job
The BBRC is looking for a Senior Data Manager (SDM) to lead the Data Management team and determine the institution priorities. The main objective of this position is to generate high-standard data management procedures allowing investigators to conduct scientifically meaningful high-quality clinical research and trials. The SDM will develop within the institution the application and practice of high standard of data management techniques in science and clinical research. The SDM will work directly to the Data Centre Manager and the Responsible of Scientific Management in order to develop the facility and bring solutions to the scientific groups and the institution.
The responsibilities for this position include:
BBRC Data Management Procedures
The SDM will be the responsible to develop procedures to maintain integrity of BBRC data while still maintaining Good Clinical Practices (GCP) and legal restrictions (GDPR, etc.).
The SDM have to define, as a priority, the index of variables from BBRC observational studies in collaboration with the Head of scientific management (to be taken into account: 3.000 participants per 3.000 variables per each visit, which took place every two years from 2013).
- Act as key expert in data management: training and supporting BBRC team to data entry and data management procedures.
- Actively contribute to the institution high scientific standards and develop processes to enhance the work at BBRC
- Ensure the correct basis in terms of data management procedures for scientific analysis.
- Develop metrics and status updates in order to follow Data Management achievements.
- Organize and design Data management structure in BBRC: tools, procedures, guidelines, etc.
Data management of BBRC Projects
The SDM will have to manage all aspects of the data to ensure BBRC meet the target deadline for analysis and be able to lock databases. The SDM will be responsible for Clinical and Scientific Data Management activities for assigned studies.
- Preparing, conducting and completing Clinical Data Management tasks according to institution policies, guidelines and regulatory requirements.
- Review Study Protocol and develop corresponding Electronic data Collection (EDC).
- Responsible to prepare, finalize and archive all related Data Management documentation: Data Management Plan and Data Management Report, Data Validation Plan (including definition of edit checks).
- Define and supervise the programming of edit checks.
- Perform Data cleaning and query handling.
- Carry out all tasks related to database closure.
- File/archive essential documents
Design of an Integrated Data Management Structure with IT Management
The candidate, by his/her seniority will bring the knowledge and the savoir-faire on data management in order to create, develop and implement all the necessary tools and procedures to allow high-standard data management.
- Develop a strategic plan, in collaboration with the IT Manager and the Head of scientific management, considering the needs of BBRC regarding data management.
- Design integrated system of DDBB with the IT Manager.
Develop procedures and implement biostatistics’ basics
- The SCD will create the system and determine the variables to be included in the different type of Data Centre reporting: Data sets descriptions, Projects status, institutional activity, etc.
- Support Scientific Management in analysing logistics and institutional data to prepare report and publications.
- Bring know how on basics biostatistics to support researchers.
Required qualifications and professional experience
- University degree in science (preferred life science, psychology, medicine or statistics).
- Biostatistics training or/and experience.
- Minimum 7-years relevant clinical data management experience in Clinical Research (CRO, Pharma-industry, cooperative research groups, etc.).
- Proven expertise in Data Base design and management
- Working knowledge of Clinical database applications such as EDC and CTMS.
- Perfect knowledge and training to GCP and GDPR.
- Experience in database management programming (SAS, SPSS, R, SQL, etc…)
- Experience in Ability of extensive interactions with academic and industry leaders, investigators and cooperative groups to optimize data management procedures English required (Proficiency Level-written and spoken).
- MedDRA and/or WHO coding., if applicable.
- Knowledge of CDISC standards (SDTM and AdAM).
- Ability in team management and priority planning.
- Organizational skills: ability to initiate, manage and direct multiple tasks and projects is necessary.
- Ability to think independently and work collaboratively (empathic and focused team worker).
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and work effectively with a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrate the ability to solve problems and reach objectives
- Interest in joining a non-profit organization with a mission of high social impact. Must possess strong interpersonal skills and work effectively with a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrate the ability to solve problems and reach objectives
- Interest in joining a non-profit organization with a mission of high social impact.
- Starting date: November 2020
- Full-time position, 38 hours’ weekly
- Permanent contract (6 months’ trial period).
- Salary will be in accordance with qualifications and experience.
- To apply, please submit a single PDF file containing the following:
- Cover letter describing research interests and relevant background;
- The names of up to three individuals who could provide reference letters.
- All files or inquiries should be submitted electronically to: email@example.com
- Subject: Senior Data Manager
We inform you that your personal data will be part of a file which Pasqual Maragall Foundation and Barcelonaβeta Brain Research Center is responsible for, in order to manage the job offer you have requested. Once the process is complete, the data processed will be erased.
You have the right to exercise the rights of access, rectification, cancellation and opposition recognized in Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), to be addressed to the Pasqual Maragall Foundation and Barcelonaβeta Brain Research Center: c/ Wellington 30, 08005 Barcelona