Neuroimaging Data Engineer
About the employer
The Barcelonaβeta Brain Research Center (BBRC) is a research center dedicated to the prevention of Alzheimer's disease and the study of cognitive functions affected in healthy and pathological aging. It was created in 2012 by the Pasqual Maragall Foundation, with the support of the Pompeu Fabra University.
The mission of the BBRC is to provide innovative solutions to decipher and prevent biological changes and cognitive dysfunction associated with neurodegenerative diseases. Due to the aging of the world population, these diseases constitute a global challenge, since for example, dementia can reach epidemic levels in 2050, with a forecast of more than 150 million people affected, if is not found a way to prevent its appearance and development.
The BBRC received the HR Excellence in Research award (HRS4R) granted by the European Commission; a recognition that shows its adherence to the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Research Staff. The center offers a stimulating and favorable working environment in accordance with the Charter and Code, which describe the rights and responsibilities of researchers and their employers, and contributes to the creation of a transparent, attractive and open ecosystem at international level.
Pasqual Maragall Foundation, Pompeu Fabra University and “la Caixa” Foundation are permanent members of the BBRC Board. The center is affiliated and located in the Ciutadella Campus of the Pompeu Fabra University of Barcelona, in a building inaugurated in 2016. The BBRC headquarters has excellent technical facilities, including a 3TMR scanner dedicated to research, and spaces for conducting Clinical Trials and EEG. State-of-the-art scientific facilities, effective management and continuous high-standard peer-review evaluation are the BBRC core proceedings to ensure achieving world-class research results.
BBRC is also part of the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), a large research facility that hosts other seven different research institutions related to biomedical research, including the Center for Genomic Regulation (CRG), the Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute (IMIM), the Department of Experimental and Health Sciences of the Pompeu Fabra University (CEXS-UPF), the Institute of Evolutionary Biology (IBE CSIC-UPF), the Barcelona Institute of Global Health (ISGlobal) and the Barcelona site of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), among others, in a multidisciplinary, collaborative and stimulating international environment in close contact with a clinical setting, thus conducive to translational research.
For more information see: www.fpmaragall.org and www.barcelonabeta.org
About the job
BBRC is looking for a Neuroimaging Data Engineer. This is a full-time position and the selected candidate will join the Neuroimaging Platform.
To empower its research activity, the BBRC has an infrastructure to carry out complex workflows for the daily storage, management, control, processing and sharing of large volumes of neuroimaging data. This infrastructure plays an important role in BBRC research tasks by automating processes and providing researchers with a variety of user-tailored tools. The selected candidate will work at the interface between the BBRC research groups and the Neuroinformatics Unit, in charge of supporting and expanding this infrastructure.
The responsibilities for this position include:
- Participate in the development of the BBRC infrastructure for the transformation of large neuroimaging datasets, improving related processes and solutions.
- Implement and validate new tools and processing pipelines based on researchers’ needs.
- Provide support to the BBRC research groups carrying out analysis involving neuroimaging data.
- Draft and implement strategies for large-scale controls on integrity and quality of neuroimaging data.
- Track the latest advances and trends in research data management and show capacity to create concept prototypes.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering or a related field. Holding a MSc or PhD degree will be favorably valued but is not required.
- Solid programming skills in Python, with a background in data engineering and scientific computing. Experience with Matlab language is a plus.
- Knowledge of Git-based version control systems. Active Github or Gitlab profiles will be positively valued.
- Experience with Unix-based operating systems.
- Experience with standard (neuro)image processing packages will be valued (FSL, FreeSurfer, SPM, ANTs…).
- Experience with High-performance computing environments and Containerization technology will be a plus.
- Familiarity with XNAT or any other biomedical research data management software is a bonus.
- Proficient in English, basic knowledge of Catalan or Spanish.
- Self-initiative. Capacity to work independently and communicate efficiently.
- Strong problem-solving mindset.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a multidisciplinary team
- Good Organization and time management skills
- Ability to think independently and work collaboratively (empathic and focused team- worker).
- Goal-oriented and work ethic driven
- Interest in joining a non-profit organization with a mission of high social impact.
- Starting date: ASAP
- Permanent contract
- Salary will depend on experience and will be in accordance to BBRC’s salary scales
- Full time position 38 hours/week
- The Foundation offers an extended vacation period and the possibility of benefit from flexible working hours.
- Possibility of benefit from flexible working hours.
- Hybrid work model (on-site + teleworking) subject to the foundation’s regulations.
We offer a unique research opportunity in a highly innovative project in a multidisciplinary institution, promoting a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity. In the foundation we also care about developing your professional career.
To apply, please submit a single PDF file containing the following:
- Cover letter addressed describing research interests and relevant background
- The names of up to three individuals who could provide reference letters. All files or inquiries should be submitted electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Neuroimaging Data Engineer
We inform you that your personal data will be part of a file which Pasqual Maragall Foundation and Barcelonaβeta Brain Research Center is responsible for, in order to manage the job offer you have requested. Once the process is complete, the data processed will be erased.
You have the right to exercise the rights of access, rectification, cancellation and opposition recognized in Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), to be addressed to the Pasqual Maragall Foundation and Barcelonaβeta Brain Research Center: Wellington Street 30, 08005 Barcelona.