I joined the BarcelonaBeta Brain Research Center (BBRC) in 2018 with a Marie Sklodowdska-Curie Fellowship to lead research on new blood biomarkers for neurodegenerative diseases, in collaboration with the Sahlgrenska Academy (University of Gothenburg).
My research interests are mainly focused on the molecular pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases, as well as on the development of fluid biomarkers in Alzheimer's disease (AD) and frontotemporal dementia (FTD). I have combined my clinical experience with a strenuous activity as a basic researcher, proven by my publications in high-impact journals, such as Science Translational Medicine, EMBO Molecular Medicine, Acta Neuropathologica or Neuron.
- Principal investigator of the BioAlfa project, which scrutinizes pro-ageing and pro-youthful blood factors on human normal ageing and Alzheimer’s disease. The results of the BioAlfa project will help to cast some light upon the potential therapeutic targets of these blood factors in humans. This research is a joint collaboration between BBRC and the Sahlgrenska Academy in the University of Gothenburg (Sweden), under the mentorship of Dr. José Luís Molinuevo and Prof. Kaj Blennow and through the funding of the Marie Sklodowska-Curie action (EU’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme).
- Lecturer in “Escola de Patologia del Llenguatge” (Language’s pathology school), Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona.
- Professional affiliations:
- General Medical Council (United Kingdom).
- Catalan Society for Neurology.
- Spanish Society for Neurology.
- Society for CSF analysis and clinical Neurochemistry.
- Col·legi de metges de Barcelona.
- 2016: PhD (summa cum laude) in the Medicine department program, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Barcelona.
- 2009: Title of Specialist in Neurology.
- 2004: Medical Degree, School of Medicine, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Barcelona.
- 2004: Master of Science (MSc) in Biochemistry, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona.
- 2017: Honorary clinical assistant at the Dementia Research Centre (Prof. Nick Fox), Institute of Neurology, University College of London, London, United Kingdom.
- 2012 – 2017: Research Fellow (Pre and Postdoc) at the Prof. Christian Haass Lab, Ludwig-Maximilians Universität (LMU) München and Deutsches Zentrum für Neurodegenerative Erkrankungen (DZNE), Munich, Germany.
- 2009 – 2012: Research and Clinical Fellow (Predoc) at the Dr. Alberto Lleó Lab, Memory Unit-Alzheimer Laboratory, Neurology Department. Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau. Barcelona.
- 2009 – 2012: Neurologist on call, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau. Barcelona.
- 2008: Research Fellow at the Prof. Bradley T Hyman, Mass General Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA.
- 2005 – 2009: Residency in Neurology, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona.