The Barcelonaβeta Brain Research Center (BBRC) has reopened the doors of its building to be able to receive again the participants of the Alpha Study and the different ongoing research projects. The center has been closed for nearly 3 months due to the COVID-19 pandemic and is now resuming visits with extreme prevention measures to ensure the safety of participants and workers.
The following is a summary of the main measures adopted, which have been drawn up following the instructions of the competent authorities, the scientific community and the Department of Occupational Risk Prevention of the BBRC and the Pasqual Maragall Foundation.
Prevention measures for participants
- New contact protocol 24 hours before the visit to verify that they do not show symptoms related to COVID-19, and to inform them of the new safety measures.
- Mandatory use of the surgical mask at all times.
- Hand washing before each visit.
- Reschedule visits and / or tour circuits to prevent more than one participant and companion in the waiting room, whenever possible.
Prevention measures for workers
- Use personal protective equipment on visits where necessary (FFP2 masks, gloves, disposable gowns, etc.).
- Mandatory use of masks on all visits and trips around the building.
- Staff symptom review protocol.
- Frequent hand hygiene, before and after each visit.
- Adherence to universal level 1 biosafety protocols for the extraction and handling of biological fluids.
- Obligation to comply with the safety distance whenever possible.
- Prioritization of telework temporarily, in positions where possible.
- Redistribution of jobs to ensure safety distance.
- Compulsory and continuous training in occupational hazards related to COVID-19.
General measures taken in the building
- Constant cleaning and disinfection of all rooms visited by participants and staff.
- Capacity reduction.
- Change all bedding and mattress protectors after each visit.
- Individual use of elevators.
- New regulation of ventilation systems.
- Distribution of hydroalcoholic ice dispensers in all rooms.
- New signage.